Alexi Murdoch @ Sixth and I Historic Synagogue, Washington DC, 10-18-2011




























This is the third time this year I caught Alexi. His music is real, his music is Alexi communicating love and truth. It's like listening to someone with great wisdom and experience and not so much sing or play for you as much share with you.

The stage was set. Alexi's acoustic,  hollow body, violin and his small boxed accordion instrument.  An accompanying trombone player who worked some very light mixing of sorts and a versatile percussionist.

This is the way to see Alexi. Stripped down to minimal instruments and players.

The "intro" listed on the set list was a great lyrical masterpiece; words that welcomed you to his music, words that gave you troubles and hopes.

Seeing Alexi perform is not so much about a show or concert as much as gaining tranquility in life and  remembering what is important - people/love/time. The more I learn about Alexi and his music the more I enjoy life and it's small appreciations and I am thankful for this friend that Alexi shares musically with us.

It's interesting to watch him tune his guitar and fiddle with the tuning. It is a joy to see the details he puts into this. It's like breathing....just enjoying the back and forth of the tuning. When he does this (and remember I've seen him do it at three different shows this year), it's like you are sitting on a porch with someone watching the clouds roll by. Purpose is that moment and that moment alone- Tune on Alexi, tune on!

Highlights include - Anything he performed that I did not know including the intro and two of the encores. Alexi going directly from Segue to All my Days was about as natural of a transition as you will ever hear. Slow Revolution which is a song that is heavy on my playlist and Lay My Body Down- he totally cut lose on this one vocally and he blew us away.

Hope you get to catch him.






No comments: